I think all of you know how to use trace in a flash project therefore I will target only on how to set up an easy tracing environment. I use terminal to display my traces on my Mac. I think this is an convenient way if you work on a dual screen environment. What do you need to do?
1) Install a Debug Flash Player on your Mac. (http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html)
2) Go to your home directory on your computer (in my case: /Users/itz/)
3) Check if a file called: “mm.cfg” exist
4) If not create one and open it
5) Write this code into the mm.cfg file and make sure the path to the TraceOutPutFileName actually goes to a file called flashlog.txt:
6) Save the file and close it.
7) Start Terminal
8) Type following and make sure the path to the files are the correct paths of your system and press ENTER: tail -f /Users/itz/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/Logs/flashlog.txt
8) Start your Flash Project and send out a trace
9) Enjoy working on Flash projects and see traces in your Terminal.
10) Share this post ;)
Tip: If you want to clear your traces press Command K wile your Terminal is active.